The Moviegoer

The Moviegoer was a book that I personally was able to relate to in an odd way. In class, it was mentioned how everyone hated this book and that it was terrible, so admitting that, somehow, in a way, I was able to sympathize with the piece is a complicated truth that in class I already know will be hard and possibly embarrassing to admit. Now, please do not misunderstand me, I do not relate to everything Binx feels and experiences, but there are a few minor details that I was able to relate to in two distinct ways.

Binx experiences having an unclear purpose for his life throughout the book, which as a 21-year-old college student in her senior year, I can very much understand. One line that struck me and that made me begin to question myself and my purpose was “..Everything is upside down for me..What are generally considered to be the best of times are for me the worst of times, and that worst of times was one of the best.” (10) This line is one of my favorite lines of the entire book. This one line shows the complexity of who Binx is, as well as highlighting an underlying theme of the complexity of life for each individual person. Binx speaks of a search for the purpose of his life that he can quite literally taste: “I dreamed of the war, no, not quite dreamed, but woke with the taste of it in my mouth..” This particular line is extremely sensual and I could not help but think of the war that we call life that everyone goes through. Binx speaks of the everydayness that people and he himself may have sunk into, and I cannot help but then question myself and my purpose and if I myself have also sunk into this everydayness he speaks of. Binx does not find purpose until he finds Kate, and that is only because she so desperately needs him due to her mental illness, and so Binx settles, rather than finding the purpose for his life in his own self. This is something I think we all do everyday, to a certain point, in our own lives. However, then there is the argument that maybe, sometimes, our purpose is or can be somebody else. This aspect and dilemma of purpose is quite complex especially in relation to the character of Binx who has trouble connecting with anyone throughout the novel. This leads me to the next point in Binx Bolling’s story that I was able to relate to.

Binx feels a desire for connection, but in my opinion he desires it so much so that he is completely disconnected from everything and everyone around him. I have had trouble with this as well my entire life. One line that I found to be very deep and that shows his desire was on page 41. Binx is speaking of his friends and he says “..how they deserved to be happy. If only I could make them happy.” Not only does this show his desire, but I also think highlights how instead of forming these connections, Binx finds escape from this feat through movies, his lust for women, and his other various activities. Which is ironic due to the book being called The Moviegoer. He is never able to form deep relationships, but believes he possibly can do this as well as find the purpose for his life through his “search”. Once again I think this is his way of avoiding the problem of him being unable to connect, and is an example of him disconnecting. He revels in the “wonder” of what his search could bring, rather than actually experiencing his search. This, I believe, is another example of the everydayness he speaks of. We all want what we can’t have, and we all see to think the grass is greener on the other side, and in doing this, we miss out on the present and the beauty of what life is right in front of us.

In summary, after reading the book and relating some to Binx Bolling, everything and nothing is wrong with his life. However, in my opinion, the problem is that there is no depth to his life until he meets and finally marries Kate. She is first person he is able to connect with as well as give his life a purpose, which finally gives his story and the book itself, depth and meaning.